Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Cynicism Part

I recently had an employee quit with no notice. I had helped put together her resume after she graduated from college. A couple of years after that she applied for an opening in our office and was hired. For three years, she was an incredible worker. Detail oriented, completed tasks without assistance, helpful, really great...when she was there. She came in late and experienced frequent absences. The position was one of importance and so created a lot of chaos when she was "unexpectedly" late or absent. I say "unexpectedly" because being absent might have been unplanned on her part, but the rest of the staff came to expect it.

On her last day she came in late, I sent her an email that said come see me and when she did she quit. Just like that. Handed me her time sheet and then left, leaving the office in a neat bind.

What did I expect.

You can always see your mistakes in hindsight and least most people can and I certainly can. But I really liked this person and felt that our friendship would last the mistakes I made. I had mentored her, we had socialized outside of work previously - though not for awhile because she always wanted to stay out much later than I did, especially on work nights - and I can honestly say I called her my friend.

Then I got this new job where I get to be the boss and that all changed.

What did I expect.

I shouldn't take it personally, I know. But my feelings are a little hurt. Someone asked me about the day when she quit, if it had been "emotional". It was for me. I cried for two hours afterwards and then more later when I got home.

She was my friend and I care about her. When someone else in the office suggested that the person receiving the emails might not answer them, she responded but "we're good friends". Well, we were too.

What did I expect?
SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!
But then, cynic that I am, I should have known better.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Hi Carrie. I finally made it over here! I'm sorry about your work situation. Sounds so frustrating!! Be careful with writing about work on the internet. (Refer to Heather over at Dooce). Hope you are feeling better by now. Happy Thanksgiving.